Conception troubles can be due to some problems in the reproductive system. During fertility treatment, it is possible that your fertility specialist suggests you to undergo reproductive surgery.
It is advisable for you to understand about reproductive problems and the methods of reproductive surgery that can be used in such situations.
Here we will discuss the reproductive problems & types of reproductive surgery in females.
Possible reproductive problems in females
Some of the common conditions that hinder the process of conception in women are:
- Tubal disease – This is a reproductive disorder where the fallopian tubes are blocked or damaged. It causes infertility as it restricts the egg & subsequent embryo from making its way from the ovary to the uterus.
- Uterine polyps – They are soft red outgrowths from the lining of the womb. It can cause hindrance in getting pregnant when the uterine polyp grows near the fallopian tubes and blocks off the opening of the tubes.
- Uterine fibroids – They are benign tumors that originate in the uterus/womb. Their effect on the fertility of a woman is dependent on size, location and closeness to pelvic organs.
- Uterine septum – In this reproductive disorder the uterus is divided at the top by a wedge of extra tissue. Due to poor blood supply to this tissue, embryos either fail to implant or if implanted, they fail to develop. It can cause infertility or repetitive miscarriages.
- Endometriosis – It is a condition where tissue that normally grows inside the uterus, instead grows outside the uterus. It affects the reproductive organs of a woman. It need not necessarily make them infertile, but it can cause difficulties in getting pregnant.
- Ovarian cyst – It is an accumulation of fluid within an ovary surrounded by a very thin wall. It causes problems in conception if you’re diagnosed with PCOS (Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome).
- Pelvic adhesions – It is basically a scar tissue which can block or distort the fallopian tubes, thereby negatively affecting the fertility of a woman.
Female reproductive surgery
Common reproductive surgeries prescribed to women facing reproductive problems are:
- Mini laparotomy – This reproductive surgery is performed using a microscope. A small incision is made to allow access to the abdominal & pelvic areas. This method can be used to treat endometriosis, remove scar tissue and to reconstruct fallopian tubes.
- Laparoscopy – This method requires a laparoscopic device to be inserted through a small incision to view the pelvic organs. Through this diagnostic procedure scar tissues can be removed and damaged fallopian tubes can be repaired.
- Hysteroscopy – This reproductive surgery is performed by inserting a narrow tube with a camera and light source through the cervix; by doing so the internal structure of the uterus can be viewed
These were some common reproductive problems which can affect female fertility and reproductive surgery procedures which are used to diagnose these issues. To know more about female infertility and treatments which can be done, consult our experts. Visit www.apollofertility.com