Fertility issues affect almost about 15% of couples in the childbearing age. With increasing cases of infertility around the world, here are some natural ways to increase fertility and boost your chances of becoming pregnant:
• Consume foods that are rich in antioxidants: Antioxidants perform the job of deactivating the free radicals, which damage the efficiency of both egg cells in women and sperms in men. Antioxidants such as zinc and folate possess the ability to boost fertility in both men and women. Food such as vegetables, nuts, fruits and grains are packed with adequate amounts of antioxidants such as Folate, Beta-carotene, Lutein as well as Vitamin C.
• Consume a bigger breakfast: Eating a large breakfast has been found to help boost fertility levels in women. It has also been found to reduce the woman’s chances of developing Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which is a major cause of infertility among women as well as boost ovulation; thereby leading to increased fertility.
• Consume more fibre: High fibre foods such as fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains help keep your blood sugar balance as well as help your body get rid of excess hormones in the form of waste products. One thing to keep in mind though: while the consumption of adequate amounts of fibre leads to increased levels of fertility, excessive consumption of the same may actually interfere with the process of ovulation, thereby leading to problems with female infertility.
• Consume less refined carbohydrates: While a controlled intake of carbohydrates is recommended, it is not only the quantity but also the type of carbohydrates you consume that needs to be monitored. In lieu of the same, the intake of refined carbohydrates present in foods such as processed grains such as bread and rice as well as in sugary drinks and foods, are absorbed by the body quickly, thus causing a sudden spike in insulin and blood sugar levels – both of which have been associated with higher risks of ovulatory infertility.
• Swap protein sources: Replacing your regular sources of proteins with similar, yet complementary sources have been linked to increased fertility. Relying on vegetable sources instead of animal sources of protein also leads to increased levels of fertility in women.
• Pursue an active lifestyle: An increased fertility is one of the many benefits of maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle. A sedentary lifestyle has, in fact, been associated with increased chances of infertility. Take up any physical activity that you like, and pursue it daily.
• Try consuming multivitamins: Intake of adequate amounts of multivitamins have been frequently linked to higher fertility. One study has established that women who consumed multivitamins regularly had 41% lower risks of developing infertility. A multivitamin containing adequate amounts of folate may be especially helpful for women when they are trying to become pregnant.
• Cut down on your intake of caffeine:
Several studies have shown that caffeine affects female fertility negatively. One such study has also established that women who consume over 500mg of caffeine in a day in an average, may take up to 9.5 months to become pregnant. A high caffeine intake has also be linked with increased risks of miscarriage.