ZIFT or Zygote intrafallopian transfer is an assisted reproductive procedure. When there is an obstruction in the fallopian tube, it forbids the normal joining of the sperm to the egg. In this procedure, the egg cells are removed from the woman’s ovaries and fertilized in a lab.
Once the cells are fertilized, the doctors at Apollo fertility will place them back in the fallopian tubes with the help of laparoscopy for infertility. These cells are called zygotes. They are a single-cell embryo, which hasn’t begun to multiply. This procedure is almost similar to GIFT or Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer.
ZIFT is a successful procedure. However, it also depends on the couple’s age and their fertility issues. For instance, a young couple is bound to have a high success rate as the woman’s eggs are healthier.
Procedure of ZIFT
- The doctors at Apollo fertility make sure that your ovaries are stimulated with medicines to help produce several eggs at the beginning of your period. These medicines also help develop mature eggs and prevent your body from releasing the eggs too early.
- Once you start taking the medicines it is important to maintain all your doctor’s appointments because we make sure that your blood hormone levels are stable. Ultrasound is also conducted to measure the development of the follicles.
- These eggs are then collected with the help of an aspiration process. The doctors at Apollo fertility will give you anesthesia before beginning the process. An ultrasound probe is inserted in the vagina to check the ovaries. Once your doctor identifies the follicles, the eggs are extracted.
- The fertilization of the eggs takes place in a laboratory and it is identical with the only difference being the time frame. In ZIFT, the eggs are transferred within 24 hours after they are fertilized. And, in IVF Procedure it can take almost 5 days for the transfer to take place.
- The transfer is completed through a laparoscopic procedure. In this process, a catheter is placed inside the fallopian tube and then the fertilized eggs are injected.
- Lastly, one should watch-out for early pregnancy symptoms. Also, we will conduct a blood test to determine the same.
This Procedure is for Women Suffering from;
- Blockage in the tube
- Tubal damage
- Problems related to the uterus
- When the sperm is not able to bind with the egg
Advantages of ZIFT
- Compared to GIFT, this treatment is more reassuring. Why? Because the eggs have already been fertilized before being placed in the Fallopian tubes.
- ZIFT is almost natural because it allows the embryo to travel on its own into the uterus. Hence, it is quite appealing to most women as the embryo develops naturally.
When Should you Opt for ZIFT?
If you have already undergone multiple treatments and they haven’t given positive results, then ZIFT is your best option, if you have at least one fallopian tube.
- If the cause of your infertility is unexplained, ZIFT can help.
- If you are suffering from Ovulation problems.
- If the sperm count of your partner is low.