The inability to conceive within twelve months is called infertility. In such a situation the couple should seek the advice of a reproductive endocrinologist.
Causes of infertility
The causes of infertility may be many:
1. Irregular and infrequent menstrual periods. When the menstrual cycle takes more than 21 to 35 days, it indicates that the patient is not ovulating at all which is essential for pregnancy.
2. Age factor- where woman above the age of 35 has less likelihood of ovulation.
3. Pelvic infection or sexually transmitted infections like Chlamydia or gonorrhoea may be another cause of infertility as it scars the fallopian tube permanently.
4. Uterine abnormalities like such as fibroids or endometrial polyps impair the endometrium leading to excessive bleeding and the inability of the uterus to implant the embryo in it.
5. A male semen abnormality is another cause of infertility.
6. Lifestyle is another reason of infertility where couple suffers from obesity and diabetes from a very young age which leads to infertility. Obesity reduces semen quality.
The rate of infertility in India
According to the statistic of the ‘Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction’ infertility affects about 27.5 million couples in India. More from a social stigma it has become a serious health issue. In 2012, Union health minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said that studies are showing that not only is infertility increasing among Indian men, their sperm count and sperm quality too is taking a beating due to “xenobiotics emanating from chemical industries.
Surgical abortions and the widespread use of emergency contraception is another reason that is increasing the rate of infertility in India.
How to tackle this increasing infertility rate in India
As more than the rural population, the urban population is more affected by infertility. It is primarily due to erratic and stressful lifestyle that impacts both emotional and physical well-being. Reduction of obesity is another major barrier that has to be overcome. Apart from tackling bodily abnormalities discipline in sexual interaction is very essential to reduce the rate of infertility in India.