Laparoscopy is a surgical process that allows the surgeon access inside the pelvis and abdomen without making large incisions in the skin. Laparoscopy is a minimally invasive surgery, also known as keyhole surgery.
About the Procedure
The procedure is carried out under general anaesthetic conditions wherein the pain remains minimal. The surgeon makes small incisions in the stomach that allow the insertion of a laparoscope, small tools for surgery, and a tube for pumping gas. After the procedure, stitches are used to close the incisions, and dressing is done. Healthcare providers at fertility clinics in Lajpat Nagar try to ensure that the procedure is carried out with complete ease for the patient.
Who Qualifies for the Procedure?
Healthcare professionals at fertility centres in Lajpat Nagar may recommend laparoscopy in case of various situations. A few of these situations can include:
1. Severe abdominal pain or chronic pain in the pelvis.
2. Feeling a lump in the abdomen.
3. Having cancer in the abdomen.
4. Wanting a surgical form of birth control.
5. A woman has concerns about getting pregnant.
Why is the Procedure Conducted?
Laparoscopy is a non-invasive procedure conducted at fertility hospitals in Lajpat Nagar for various purposes. A few of the reasons are below:
- To examine the abdomen and other organs for tumours, injuries, internal bleeding, infections, abdominal pain, and blockages.
- To examine the stage of cancer inside the abdomen.
- To investigate pelvic pain, ovarian cysts, and fibroids and examine the fallopian tubes.
- To treat ectopic pregnancy or to do a tubal ligation.
Different Types of Laparoscopy
The two types of laparoscopy are below:
1. Abdominal laparoscopy: Abdominal laparoscopy is used for examining organs inside the abdomen along with other enclosed spaces. A doctor may recommend abdominal laparoscopy for examining the appendix, gallbladder, pancreas, liver, small intestine, stomach, and spleen.
2. Gynecological laparoscopy: It is an alternative to open surgery wherein a laparoscope is used to look inside the pelvic area. Gynecological laparoscopy can be done for many purposes – unexplained pain in the pelvic area, unexplained infertility, and history of infection in the pelvic area.
Benefits of the Procedure
Laparoscopy helps diagnose various conditions that may develop inside the pelvis or abdomen. The procedure is considered to have more advantages when compared to traditional open surgery because of the following reasons:
- Laparoscopy requires a shorter stay in the hospital and offers speedy recovery.
- Laparoscopy is a less painful procedure.
- There is reduced scarring with laparoscopy.
The various concerns for which laparoscopy can be used include:
- Tumours and other growths
- Unexplained bleeding
- Diagnosis and treatment of fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, and pelvic prolapse
Risks or Complications Associated with the Procedure
Laparoscopy is a common procedure in medicine that involves minimal risks and complications. Some of the minor complications that may occur during this procedure include:
- Bruises around the incision
- Minor bleeding
- Mild abdominal pain
Apart from this, rarely, some major complications may also occur such as:
- Major artery getting damaged
- Organ damage such as bladder or bowel
- Serious allergic reaction
- Blood clots
- Nerve damage
Some of the indications that one can be mindful of after the procedure include:
- Chills or fever
- Swelling or redness
- Trouble urinating
- Increased pain around the incision area
In case of these symptoms, the individual can reach out to a healthcare provider at Apollo Fertility, Lajpat Nagar, for effective treatment. Request an appointment at Apollo Fertility, Lajpat Nagar. Call 1860-500-4424 to book an appointment.
Laparoscopy is a minimally invasive process that allows surgeons to look inside the pelvis and abdomen. It helps diagnose various conditions and possesses minimal risks. Laparoscopy may help address your concerns if you are dealing with fertility issues.
Some of the minor complications with laparoscopy include feeling nauseous, minor bleeding, and infection.
Some of the uses of laparoscopy surgery for people with abdominal symptoms can include the diagnosis of tumors, blockages, unexplained bleeding, and infections.
The healthcare providers at Apollo Fertility, Lajpat Nagar, can help in identifying the need for laparoscopy based on the symptoms of the individual. Some of these indications can include severe pain in the abdomen or pelvis and feeling a lump in the abdomen.
The results of laparoscopy can include diagnosis or treatment of endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian cysts, and ectopic pregnancy.
The medical professional may need to perform tests before laparoscopy, including previous X-rays, pathology reports, observatory reports, ultrasound, computed tomography, operative report, and tissue specimens. The healthcare provider can ask for different tests depending on your concerns and purpose.