The ability of a woman to get pregnant is between her late teens and 20s. Once a woman is 30, her ability begins to decline. This decline is faster when she is in her mid-30s. By the age of 45, her chances of getting pregnant are unlikely. For women who want to hold onto their biological clock- Oocyte Vitrification came into being.
The usual term for Oocyte Vitrification is Egg Freezing. Another word for it is Mature Oocyte Cryopreservation. It is the method where the eggs get frozen for prospects of fertility. Nowadays, women use this technique to get pregnant in the future whenever they are ready to bear children.
About the Oocyte Vitrification
In Oocyte Vitrification, the eggs harvested from ovaries are frozen unfertilized by a sperm. They get stored in a laboratory. Once a woman is ready to get pregnant, she can ask her doctor to defrost her egg, combine it with sperm, and implant it in her uterus. The implantation of such an embryo is through the method of In-vitro Fertilization.
The procedure -
- A doctor inserts a needle into the ovarian follicles of a woman to take out mature eggs.
- The doctor needs an Ultrasound to guide the procedure when the eggs are not visible. The doctor may need to perform abdominal surgery to retrieve the mature eggs.
- Once the eggs are out, freezing begins.
- The doctor inserts a solution into the eggs to avoid turning them into ice crystals because of the excess water in them.
- The doctor stores the eggs in a laboratory.
- In the future, when the woman is ready to bear children, she can choose to do so with her eggs and the procedure of In-vitro Fertilization.
Who qualifies for Oocyte Vitrification?
Women with these circumstances can opt for Oocyte Vitrification -
- Women aged in their late teens, 20s, and early 30s
- Women are not ready to get pregnant in their present but want to in their future.
- Women with a family history of early menopause
- Turner's syndrome in girls could leave them with no eggs when they become women.
- A genetic condition that could hamper pregnancy
- Cancer that could affect your fertility
Why is Oocyte Vitrification conducted?
Here are the following reasons why a woman can choose Oocyte Vitrification -
- Age is catching up. Chances of having a successful pregnancy are better if you have frozen your eggs before the age of 35.
- An autoimmune condition for a very long time. Autoimmune conditions, like Sickle Cell Anemia, SLE, Gender Diversity, and Transgender.
Types of Oocyte Vitrification
In totality, there are two types -
- Open Oocyte Vitrification
It requires extremely high cooling rates and direct contact with liquid nitrogen in cryopreservation.
- Closed Oocyte Vitrification
It does not require extremely high cooling rates and does not have direct contact with liquid nitrogen in cryopreservation.
Benefits of Oocyte Vitrification
What could come out of Oocyte Vitrification? Let's dig deep.
- It protects your eggs.
- It saves your eggs for the timeline you want to get pregnant.
- It takes the pressure off of your head about infertility and ageing.
- It gives you ample time to get pregnant when you are mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, and wholeheartedly ready.
- Reduces the risk of your baby having chromosomal abnormalities
- Social egg freezing
Complications of Oocyte Vitrification
Oocyte Vitrification comes with the following risks and complications you must be ready for, too -
- Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome - shortness of breath, pain, vomiting, and gastric reflux
- Blood clots
- Bleeding at the injection site
If you feel like you have no idea about Non-obstructive Azoospermia, then you can request an appointment at Apollo Fertility, Anna Nagar, for a consultation by calling 1860-500-4424
If the doctor uses only eight eggs for Oocyte Vitrification, then six will survive the freezing and thawing procedure. Of the six survived eggs, the chances of live births are between 18% to 32%; it entirely depends on the woman's age when she froze her eggs.
Avoid the pointers - • Heavy strenuous pelvic exercise • Consuming chocolates, potato chips, biscuits, and ice cream. In general, bad fatty foods affect the maturation of your eggs. • Caffeine • Alcohol • Herbal supplements • Medications
For starters, a woman has to undergo two to five treatment cycles of Oocyte Vitrification. More the number of eggs, the more the chances of live birth.
Earlier, the issue was the pressure of becoming a mother. Now it is the freedom to opt for Oocyte Vitrification as a fertility choice.
Through the process of Oocyte Vitrification, a woman can gain up to five pounds.