This is a technique applied during the IVF process to overcome the barrier of the inability of sperm to fertilize the egg. In this process, the sperm is directly entered into the egg through injection for fertilization.
Usually what happens is that in normal circumstances the sperm first get attached to the outer layer of the egg. After attachment, it tries to enter it by pushing it. Once successful in entering fertilization takes place. Any hindrance in this process results in failed conception. The reason for hindrance is that sometimes the outer protein layer thickens which prevents sperm from entering it. The other reason is related to the sperm which are many but few of them could be low sperm quality and quantity.
The ICUI process is the same as the IVF which involves the same steps except for the step of insemination is performed which means mixing the egg with sperm in the lab, ICUI process takes place. Instead of normal fertilization which takes time to happen, the sperm is directly injected into the egg. This process is applied in cases where the patient had earlier many failed IVF attempts.
Who qualifies for Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm?
This technique is for the following category of people –
- A woman who produces a hard or thick protein layer covering the egg
- Men who have variance in sperm count
- Men who have a low-quality sperm
- Men who have a blockage in their reproductive organ which hampers their normal functioning
- Man who ejaculates inward towards the bladder instead of outward through the penis
- Men who are incapable of ejaculation
- Man has the development of antibodies like antispam that affects his sperm adversely.
- Couples who are utilizing eggs or sperm that are frozen (preserved earlier for later use)
- The couple who are at a later age of normal reproductive life
- The couple who have previous failed attempts of IVF
- The couple who have infertility the reason for which cannot be known
Why is it conducted?
It is conducted to overcome the problem in the fertilization phase and increase the chances of pregnancy. This process enables the collection of quality sperm and its direct injection into the egg. This facilitation of easy fertilization leads to improvement in the probability of successful conception.
What are the benefits associated with Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm?
The main benefit of this treatment is to increase the probability of pregnancy and ultimately the birth of a child or offspring for people who are unable to conceive through a normal process.
Risks and Complication associated with Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm
Below are some risks and complications pointed out concerning this assisted method of reproduction –
- Occurrences of damage to the egg at the time of performance of the process
- The fertilized egg does not develop in the lab or after transferring it into the uterus as intended, which renders it useless.
- Such interference with the egg may lead to cease of the natural functioning of fertilization as intended, thus resulting in a failed attempt.
- There is a slight probability of the occurrence of birth defects.
- There is a probability of genetic problems with the born child.
Request an appointment at Apollo Fertility in Brookefield, Bangalore
Call 1860-500-4424 to book an appointment
This advanced technology is used in the IVF process to increase its success rate. It has few risks associated with it but the result overshadows it. The skill and experience of the performing doctors matter a lot in such a delicate process.
It is performed by fertility specialist doctors.
It uses two appliances. First is a glass tube of smaller size and a needle.
It is applied in the third stage of mixing the egg with sperm.
Yes, there are a few risks associated with this technique.
The success rate depends on the age of the patient, the quality of sperm and egg, skill and expertise of the performing doctor.