IVF treatment i.e. In Vitro Fertilization treatment helps scores of couples get pregnant safely and successfully. It has revolutionized the world of medicine and ultimately the world of all those who could not conceive.
While IVF treatment is one of the most successful under assisted reproductive therapies, it is paramount to understand the basic does and don’ts of it. This is important to ensure that the chances of the IVF treatment being successful are higher.
While the transfer of the embryo is a stressful yet exciting time, there are certain things to keep in mind pre, during and post the transfer.
• It is paramount for the women considering IVF to take complete care of their health
• Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, leafy vegetables and nuts would assist in building up health
• Ensure that your weight and BMI are under control. A BMI under 30 is ideal.
• Ensure you cut down on stress. Stress can affect the success of the treatment.
• Look out for an IVF clinic and doctor that makes you feel comfortable. At Apollo Fertility, we ensure that the needs, safety and comfort of the patient are cared for. A preliminary appointment with one of our experts would help one make an informed decision.
• Understand the process of IVF treatment. There are various stages and steps to it including egg retrieval, testing, fertilization, implantation, etc. It is a 2-week long process.
• It might be a good idea to get psychological counselling before embarking on this process and reach out to support groups.
• Consult the doctor on the kind of prenatal medication you need to consume
• Do not smoke or consume alcohol or else at least limit your alcohol consumption
• It is also advisable to reduce caffeine intake to one or two caffeinated beverages in a day.
• Ensure adequate sleep i.e. at least 8 hours daily
• This cycles demands a healthy and balanced diet as well with increased water intake
• No smoking and drinking alcohol in this cycle
• Caffeine consumption should also be limited.
• Avoid food with elevated mercury content like fish during the treatment
• Do not consume medication which is over-the-counter and not prescribed
• Avoid exposure to heat treatments and radiation for both yourself and your partner
• Exercising in moderation is advisable
• Have an open channel of communication with your doctor especially related to things like ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome and baby aspirin.
• Continue maintaining a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet, regular exercise and adequate sleep.
• Ensure that your stress levels are controlled through Yoga, meditation, medication and exercise.
• Take all medications prescribed by the doctor regularly and on time
• Lean on your support system for anything
• Avoid consuming food older than 12 hours
• Using hot tubs, saunas or massages post-transfer is risky.
The most important thing is to remain calm and positive during the entire process of IVF especially post transfer.