Fertility associate issues cause difficulty in conceiving. This could occur due to several reasons, such as birth defects, fibroids, and endometriosis, among others.
In such cases, it becomes essential to undergo reproductive surgeries to either rectify the problem or for safety concerns. Therefore, reproductive surgeries are conducted by gynaecologists and urologists that specialise in the reproductive medicine segment.
Deep Dive Into Types Of Reproductive Surgeries
- Hysteroscopy involves inserting a small telescope-like instrument right into the uterine cavity. This process allows the diagnosis of the uterine septum and fibroids. Endometriosis, polyps associated with the uterus.
- Laparoscopy – Laparoscopy is a process that involves using an instrument to view areas around the pelvic organs. It is inserted through the belly button and is effective in diagnosing endometriosis, hydrosalpinx, cysts, fibroids or even tumours.
- Laparotomy - Laparotomy is an abdominal incision that is done to examine the abdominal & pelvic cavities. Issues such as uterine fibroids, cysts or a ruptured ectopic pregnancy that could have uncontrolled haemorrhage can be managed.
Who Can Benefit From The Surgery
- Hysteroscopy – Women that suffer from heavy periods that can be extremely painful. This could be caused due to endometriosis or adenomyosis, or fibroids. Acute pelvic pain or pelvic inflammatory diseases that have gone untreated may need a hysterectomy. In case of prolapse of the uterus, the need for a hysterectomy may be necessary. Other, more severe reasons include cancer of the womb, cervix or ovaries.
- Laparoscopy benefits a range of medical ailments or pathologies requiring further diagnosis. While this can be used for gynaecology, urology and gastroenterology. Within the reproductive category, laparoscopy is used to identifying
- Ectopic Pregnancies – Cases when the pregnancy develops in the fallopian tube
- Ovarian Cyst - Fluid-filled sacs in the ovary
- Female Infertility – To identify possible reasons for female infertility
- Undescended Testicles – When one or both Testicles are not present in the scrotum since birth.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease – Bacterial infection that may occur in the upper areas of the female genital tract.
- Cancer Detection: Among other types of cancer, it is also used for the detection of ovarian cancer and others.
- Laparotomy - Laparotomy is necessary for various procedures, such as the removal of the uterus. It is necessary to remove the ovary, fallopian tube, and fibroids in some cases. It is also a part of cancer therapy.
How Is Reproductive Surgery Performed?
- Laparoscopy – A small camera is inserted through the belly button and is done under anaesthesia. The incision created for this Surgery is as small as 0.5 to 1 cm. It can be of great assistance in various reproductive procedures.
- Hysteroscopy – A lighter tool is used that has a camera on the end. In this case, it is usually inserted through the vagina and gives a clear view of the cervix's canals or the uterus's interior.
- Laparotomy – Laparotomy is a surgical procedure that involves having a surgical incision in the abdominal cavity. The types include midline, paramedian and transverse.
Surgery Complications To Be Aware Of
- Laparoscopy – While this is a fairly common procedure, it is essential to be aware of the common complications one may face. This includes severe vascular injury. In addition, in some cases, it has been observed that bowel perforation could also occur during the process.
- Hysteroscopy – Some of the possible complications associated with the hysteroscopy procedure include infection, bleeding, tearing of the uterus (however, this may be rare), damage to the cervix, and fluid or gas build-up that may lead to the expansion of the uterus.
- Laparotomy - Some of the complications that can occur include haemorrhage, infection, damage to the internal organs and more. In some cases where the complications are more severe, it may result in the formation of scar tissues, bowel blockage etc
Reproductive Surgery is an extremely important step in the process of healing from reproductive ailments. In order to improve overall fertility and diagnose disorders seeking medical assistance can be highly beneficial. Apollo Spectra is one of the leading medical institutions with expertise in handling reproductive Surgery in JP Nagar, Bengaluru. Visit the facility for your fertility-related or general reproductive issues.
The time it takes for any surgery depends upon the type of Surgery. However, reproductive surgery generally may vary from one hour to three hours. Based on complications, the time may increase.
Generally, uterus surgery, such as a hysterectomy, is considered safe. However, complications may arise due to its being a major surgery. It can range from blood clots and infections to more severe complications. Therefore, it is advised to read the full list of complications or consult a doctor.
Reproductive Surgery is generally done to either improve fertility conditions or restore the natural anatomy. In more severe cases, it is done in order to deal with severe or life-threatening conditions such as cancer.