It is not a rare occasion that couples trying for conception are unable to achieve it for quite some time. If you’ve been trying with no results for at least an year, then it is time you visited an expert. There are various infertility treatments which can help you out.
There is no harm or shame in taking expert advice and undergoing fertility treatments or procedures for getting pregnant. There are treatments available for male and female infertility.
One of the common procedures, for cases where conception is hindered due to the male partner, is IUI – Intrauterine Insemination.
In the IUI procedure, the sperm is placed inside the woman’s uterus to facilitate fertilization. The goal of this fertility treatment is to increase the sperm count reaching the fallopian tubes, thereby increasing the chances of pregnancy.
When does the doctor recommend IUI?
Low sperm count or decreased sperm mobility is the most common reason behind suggesting an IUI procedure.
The doctor may also recommend IUI in following conditions:
- Unexplained infertility.
- Cervical condition preventing pregnancy. This also includes cervical mucus problems.
- If you’ve undergone procedures before which have resulted in cervical scar tissue, which might be hindering sperm ability to enter the uterus.
- Ejaculation dysfunction with ovulation induction
How does an IUI procedure work?
- It is possible that ovulation stimulating medications are suggested before intrauterine insemination. During the medication you are carefully monitored to determine when the eggs are mature.
- The IUI procedure is then performed around the time of ovulation.
- A semen sample is washed by the lab to separate semen from seminal fluid.
- Then a catheter is used to insert the sperm directly into the uterus.
This process maximizes the number of sperms placed in the uterus, thereby increasing the chances of conception.
The IUI procedure takes hardly, a few minutes and with minimal discomfort. Next, all you have to do is watch out for pregnancy symptoms.
Risks associated with IUI
Even though going through IUI fertility treatment gives you the chance of enjoying parenthood, there are a few risks associated with this procedure.
As you take fertility medication during IUI, there are increased chances of becoming pregnant with multiples. There is also a small risk of infection associated with IUI.
IUI success rate
The success rate of an intrauterine insemination procedure is dependent on various factors. Couples who go through the IUI procedure each month, increase the chances of success to as high as 20% per cycle. However, this also is dependent on different variables like female age, the reason behind infertility and usage of fertility drugs, among others.
To know more about IUI and other fertility treatment options available to you, consult our experts. Visit Apollo Fertility Hospitals