Infertility has been a problem for a long time, but it has only recently begun to be discussed. Today, there are quite a few ways that have been discovered in order to deal with infertility-related issues. IVF is the most common and well-known form of assisted artificial reproduction. However, many other methods such as ICSI too are gaining popularity and have a higher success rate, reportedly. It is commonly referred to as ICSI or IVF Treatment because it is not entirely separate from IVF; it simply includes some additional steps than IVF.
What Is ICSI?
ICSI is an abbreviation for intracytoplasmic sperm injection. The process is as follows: The male’s sperm is extracted, the best sperm is selected, and then artificially injected into the egg for fertilization. It is one of the most effective artificial treatment methods for infertility issues.
Reportedly, ICSI has a success rate of 80 to 85 percent. This means that approximately eight out of ten eggs will fertilize normally.
Also, Read: Types of Infertility
When Is ICSI Suggested?
ICSI is recommended in the following situations:
- The sperm count is extremely low.
- Sperms with unusual shapes
- The couple does not wish to use a sperm donor.
- It is necessary to avoid extremely specific genetic disorders.
- The male has issues with ejaculation.
What Is the ICSI Procedure?
ICSI process consists of five major steps:
- Hormone regulation to allow the woman to produce more than one egg per month. This is accomplished through injections.
- A minor procedure is used to extract eggs from a woman’s ovaries.
- Ejaculation is used to extract sperm from males; it is preferable if the sperm is collected on the day of the procedure. The best sperm is then selected for the procedure after being filtered.
- For fertilization, the selected sperm is manually injected into the egg.
- A catheter is then used to insert the fertilized egg into the woman’s uterus.
Also, Read: Things You Need to Know About ICSI
ICSI Treatment Cost in India
Fertility or reproductive procedures are now usually prohibitively expensive in other parts of the world. However, depending on which medical institution and healthcare centre you choose, the procedure can be quite affordable in India.
ICSI is a procedure that occurs in multiple cycles, each of which has additional costs that must be paid for separately. The minimum ICSI treatment cost in India is Rs. 2,40,000 to Rs. 2,50,000 per cycle. This only includes the standard methods and techniques.
Many couples have been able to conceive healthy babies thanks to assisted reproductive systems. During the treatment cycles, a patient can feel more relaxed with the help of surgical treatment and maintenance. We strongly advise people to take and follow the doctor’s advice, as well as to maintain open and honest communication with the channel. A good working relationship with a specialist can help avoid risks. Doctors will also advise you on precautionary measures that you should take while undergoing the process.
Also, Read: Why Couples Should Opt for IVF