Infertility is a deeply personal and challenging journey that many couples face. While often there is a focus on female fertility treatments, it's important to acknowledge that male infertility can also be a significant factor in the struggle to conceive. Fortunately, advancements in medical technology have revolutionised the field of reproductive medicine, offering hope and solutions for couples experiencing male infertility. One such breakthrough procedure is MicroTESE, which has proven to be a microscopic solution for male infertility.
The Challenges of Male Infertility
Male infertility can create emotional distress and strain relationships due to societal stigma and misconceptions surrounding fertility issues. Men may feel a sense of guilt or inadequacy when faced with difficulties in starting a family. It's important to remember that male infertility is a medical condition and seeking appropriate treatment can significantly increase the chances of successful conception.
What is MicroTESE?
MicroTESE stands for Microscopic Testicular Sperm Extraction. It is a specialised surgical procedure performed under high-powered microscopes to identify and retrieve sperm from the testicles of men with azoospermia (no sperm in their ejaculate). Azoospermia can be caused by various factors such as genetic conditions, hormonal imbalances, blockages, or testicular dysfunction.
How Does MicroTESE Work?
MicroTESE involves the use of high-powered microscopes to visualise the seminiferous tubules within the testicles. A skilled surgeon then identifies areas where sperm production is more likely to occur, known as 'hotspots'. These hotspots are carefully dissected, and small samples are taken for further examination under the microscope.
The retrieved samples are examined by an embryologist who searches for viable sperm. If sperm is found, it can be used for various fertility procedures such as in vitro fertilisation (IVF) or intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
Benefits of MicroTESE
- Increased Success Rates: MicroTESE offers higher success rates compared to other surgical sperm retrieval methods, making it an effective solution for men with azoospermia.
- Minimal Invasiveness: The procedure is minimally invasive and requires only a small incision, reducing post-operative discomfort and recovery time.
- Improved Fertility Options: By retrieving viable sperm directly from the testicles, MicroTESE enables couples to explore assisted reproductive techniques like IVF or ICSI, providing a greater chance of conception.
- Personalised Approach: MicroTESE evaluates the unique sperm production pattern of each individual, allowing for personalised treatment strategies to optimise fertility outcomes.
- Future Fertility Preservation: In cases where no viable sperm is found during MicroTESE, the procedure provides valuable information about future fertility potential and preservation options such as testicular tissue freezing.
If you are struggling with male infertility, MicroTESE at Apollo Fertility can provide a microscopic solution to help you overcome this challenge. Our experienced fertility specialists as well as advanced technology and personalised approach make us a trusted choice in the field of reproductive medicine.
The procedure is performed under anaesthesia, ensuring a pain-free experience during the operation. Some discomfort may be experienced during the recovery period, but it can be managed with prescribed pain medications.
The success rates of MicroTESE vary depending on individual factors such as the cause of infertility and the quality of retrieved sperm. However, studies have shown approximate success rates ranging from 40% to 60%.
As with any surgical procedure, there are some risks involved with MicroTESE, including bleeding, infection, and damage to surrounding tissues. However, these risks are rare and can be minimised by choosing an experienced and skilled fertility specialist.