Microsurgical Testicular Epididymal Sperm Extraction is a surgical technique of collecting sperm from the testicular tissues of a man. This procedure is helpful in the case of male infertility and facilitates the way to be a biological father. It also helps if a man is not able to release a healthy sperm naturally due to any unexplained cause of infertility.
What is Microsurgical Testicular Epididymal Sperm Extraction?
A sperm retrieval or extraction procedure is for men who suffer from the absence of sperm in semen. It is one of the most severe types of male infertility caused by intrinsic testicular failure and insufficient gonadotropin production.
It is a minimally invasive and affordable medical technique to remove sperm blockage. This procedure requires several hours, and the surgeon performs it under anaesthesia. Microscopic magnification increases the chance of identifying healthy sperm with minimal chances of removing tissues surgically.
It requires the extraction of sperm directly from the testis. A team of endocrinologists and surgeons search for sperm during the procedure under microscope magnification. Sperm are located, collected, and preserved from tubules of the testis, found inside the scrotum, a small sac behind the penis. It is often known as the scientific way to embrace parenthood for men dealing with infertility.
Who qualifies for the procedure of sperm retrieval?
This procedure aims to obtain good-quality sperm enough for successful fertilization. It is a safe and affordable procedure and can be ideal for men in cases such as-
- Blocked sperm passage
- Absence of sperm in the semen during ejaculation
- History of cancer treatment
- Genetic condition
- Intra-testicular fibrosis
- Insufficient sperm production
What is the reason for conducting the Micro TESE procedure?
The procedure involves diagnostic and surgical treatments to extract sperm for in-vitro or in-vivo fertilization. The conditions for conducting this surgical technique are:
- Obstructive Azoospermia- This condition states the absence or defect of vas deferens. It leads to blockage of sperm passage and restricts its way of getting into semen.
- Anejaculation refers to a state of failure of seminal fluid to reach the urethra.
- Abnormality of the hypothalamus.
- Non-obstructive Azoospermia- It refers to low levels of sperm in semen or no semen during sexual stimulation.
- Retrograde ejaculation is an ejaculatory dysfunction related to the backward movement of semen when it flows toward the bladder instead of releasing through the penis.
Genetic and surgical conditions or injuries may cause retrograde ejaculation and anejaculation. Cancer treatment, pelvic surgery, unstable diabetes, spinal cord injury, and sclerosis can also be a few reasons.
What are the diagnostic techniques to determine infertility?
Nowadays, lifestyle changes and age are the causes of deteriorating health conditions. If a couple fails to conceive after trying for a year, they should consult a healthcare expert. After a physical examination, doctors suggest the diagnosis, if required. These can be:
- Blood tests examine any genetic conditions and hormonal levels.
- Semen analysis to examine the quality, number, and mobility of sperms.
- Ultrasound of reproductive organs to diagnose any defects, abnormalities, or blockage.
What are the benefits of Micro TESE?
Possible benefits of Micro TESE are-
- The high success rate in treating male infertility
- Quick recovery
- Minimum risk of injuring the testicles
- Better chances of identifying and preserving sperm
What are the risks involved with Micro TESE?
Micro TESE is a safe procedure to extract sperm for fertilization or preservation, known as cryopreserving sperm. The risk involved with the sperm retrieval procedure can be-
- Mild dizziness
- Psychologically demanding
- Failure of the procedure
- Rarely any injury during the procedure
Infertility acts as a restriction in the way to biological parenthood. Male infertility revolves around unexplained reasons or causes of the health condition. However, with medical advancement, it has become possible to treat and cure this complicated state of health. Sperm Retrieval is a cost-effective and safe option to embrace parenthood. Consult a healthcare expert for better assistance at the fertility centre in Varthur.
Request an appointment at
Apollo Fertility, Varthur
Call 1860-500-4424 to book an appointment
The time required for Micro TESE depends on the patient’s condition or diagnostic reports. The cause, procedure selection, and sperm collection may affect the time from minutes to hours.
No, patients get discharged on the same day. In a few cases with significant health conditions, the doctor might recommend 24-48 hours of monitoring. The healthcare provider suggests resuming heavy work after 10-15 days.
In case of Micro TESE failure, patients can undergo another round of the procedure 6-12 months after the first round. It depends on the diagnoses prescribed by the medical expert.