Women are said to have a limited fertile period in their lives where it is easier for them to get pregnant. After 35 years of age, the quality of the eggs declines, causing issues with conception. However, in modern times, women are delaying starting a family. This may be due to health issues or finding success in professional life. But modern medicine has made it possible for women of advanced age to conceive. One of the common ways to achieve this is egg cryopreservation or Oocyte freezing.
What is Oocyte freezing?
Oocyte freezing or egg cryopreservation is the process of preserving a woman's healthy eggs for future conception. It is known that the major factor in infertility in women is the decrease in the quality of eggs due to the advancement of age. Oocyte freezing helps preserve healthy eggs that can be used for conception later on.
Oocyte freezing is a perfect option for couples looking for fertility preservation techniques. This method will ensure that you get pregnant in the future. You can visit a fertility center near you to talk to a doctor about the process and its benefits.
Who qualifies for the Oocyte preservation procedure?
If you or your partner aren't ready to conceive but are worried about advanced age, you may consider preserving your healthy eggs for the future. The earlier you harvest your eggs, the healthier they are.
You may also consider oocyte freezing if-
- You are just diagnosed with medical conditions such as sickle cell anemia or other autoimmune diseases that may make it difficult for you to conceive in the future.
- You are undergoing radiation treatment for your cancer. Radiation or chemotherapy can affect fertility. By freezing eggs, you have a better chance of having biological children later on.
- You are considering other ways to have a child- If you cannot carry your child for different reasons, oocyte freezing will make it possible to have your biological baby through surrogacy.
- You are scheduled for ovarian surgery, which may lead to damage to the ovaries.
You can visit the best fertility hospital in Varthur to understand if the procedure is perfect for you based on your requirements and medical history.
Why is Oocyte freezing conducted?
Women produce a limited number of eggs in their lifetime. Some of the healthiest eggs are the ones that are produced at a young age. These eggs have a higher chance of fertilization.
Oocyte freezing is the best way to freeze healthy eggs for anyone who is looking to delay their pregnancy. If you are considering the IVF procedure to conceive in the future, you might want to preserve some of your healthy eggs now.
What are the benefits of Oocyte freezing?
Oocyte freezing is done by harvesting healthy eggs from the ovaries and storing them for later use. When required, these eggs are thawed and fertilized through ICSI (Intracytoplasmic sperm injection) technique. It helps in-
- Preserving your eggs during invasive procedures like surgery or chemotherapy
- Giving you time to focus on other aspects of your life before you decide to start a family
- Increase your success rates of IVF procedures due to the good quality of eggs
By choosing to preserve your eggs, you can take control of your future and conceive when you are ready. Visit an IVF center near you to learn more about how your eggs are retrieved and preserved for future use.
What are the risks and complications of Oocyte freezing?
Oocyte freezing may carry certain risks, such as -
- Ovarian hyperstimulation- You will be required to take fertility drugs before the procedure to stimulate your ovaries to release more eggs. This can cause ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Side effects of the same can include abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Procedure complications like bleeding, infection, or damage to the fallopian tubes, bladder, or blood vessels.
Other complications of Oocyte freezing include emotional risks. While the chance of conceiving by freezing younger eggs is good, it is still less than conception through normal eggs. Make sure to talk to a fertility doctor near you to educate yourself regarding the complete procedure and its future implications.
Oocyte freezing may be your best chance to have a biological child if you are diagnosed with conditions that affect your fertility or even cancer. It is also a good way to pause your ticking biological clock. Visit a good fertility hospital in Varthur to get the best Oocyte freezing services.
Request an appointment at
Apollo Fertility, Varthur
Call 1860 500 4424 to book an appointment
You can safely freeze your eggs for up to 10-12 years. IVF specialists have been successful in fertilizing eggs that have been frozen for 15 years as well. As long as you harvest young eggs, you will have a high chance of conception.
Women who harvest 10-20 eggs before 30 years of age have a 70-90% of chance of having at least one live birth. However, you need to understand that pregnancy complications increase as the maternal age advances.
If you are considering freezing your eggs for future conception, it may be best to harvest your eggs at least before you turn 35. This will help with better-quality eggs, increasing your chances of live birth in the future.
No. The process of retrieving your eggs is quite safe and does not cause any damage to your ovaries.
Yes. You can freeze an already fertilised egg. It can later be thawed and introduced in your womb through IVF and lead to a pregnancy.