Cancer is a life-threatening disease. Even if you recover from it, there are chances of you being affected by its treatment process later in life. One such effect is on your fertility. To prevent its effect a pre-emptive treatment process is conducted to destroy the cells are or have the potential to carry cancer. The destruction is done through freezing. Thus, it not only eliminates the enemy even before its spread; which saves the time, pain, cost and mental trauma of going through its treatment process by radiation but also conserves your fertility.
Onco freezing is a method of treatment in which the cancerous or precancerous cells are destroyed by applying extreme cold on them and freezing the cells. Extreme cold is provided through liquid nitrogen or argon gas. The tumour cells are prevented from further growth and spreading by applying cold to them. The size, location and stage of the tumour determine whether the onco freezing process will affect it or not.
Who qualifies for Onco Freezing?
Following are the types of patients who are suffering from cancer or other health conditions, which require onco-freezing treatment –
- If you are going through a cancerous or non-cancerous condition and you are unable to go for surgery due to the risk involved in it.
- If you are going through a cancerous or non-cancerous condition and you are unable to go for surgery due to advanced age.
- If you are going through a cancerous or non-cancerous condition and you are unable to go for surgery due to complications related to the disease.
- If you are going through a cancerous or non-cancerous condition and you are unable to go for surgery due issue with the functioning of the heart and lungs.
- If you are going through a cancerous or non-cancerous condition and you are unable to go for surgery due to high sugar and blood pressure.
Why is it conducted?
This process is conducted for two major purposes, which are as follows –
- Treatment of cancer by eliminating its cells or tumour
- Treatment of cells or tumours which have the potential of turning into cancer
- Preservation of fertility
What are the benefits associated with Onco Freezing?
The benefits associated with this method are as follows –
- Successful treatment of cancer by ceasing its spread and development
- Successful preservation of fertility
- It involves minimal intervention with less pain
- High speed of recovery of patients
- Remarkable decrease in effect on other healthy organs due to its specified area treatment
Risks and Complication associated with Onco Freezing
Every medical process that is interventionist in nature carries its risks and complication. It may vary depending upon the extent of intervention, disease, steps involved and your health condition. Related to this process it is as follows –
- Chances of pain and bleeding in the treatment area
- Chances of inflammation and redness in the treatment area
- Chances of light vaginal bleeding
- Chances of experiencing a painful period post-treatment
- Chances of damage to other healthy tissues or organs
Request an appointment at Apollo Fertility/Cradle Guwahati
Call 1860-500-4424 to book an appointment
This technique of cancer cells and non-cancer cells treatment and fertility preservation is an alternative which is very effective and beneficial. This limited but focused approach to intervention evades the other lengthy, painful and costly processes.
The department of oncology and reproductive medicine is associated with this process.
It depends on the area of treatment, but on average it takes between 10 minutes to 30 minutes.
Yes, the process is conducted by an expert called an interventional radiologist.
The main difference between this process and others is of the process itself and recovery time. This is a minimal intervention and speedy recovery process.
The freezing is done by applying liquid nitrogen or argon gas.