Recurrent Miscarriage


If someone had a miscarriage then it can be due to several underlying reasons. However, if someone experiences 3 or more recurrent miscarriages then they must consult the doctors. Losing a baby can be devastating, therefore, consulting a doctor and taking proper medications is necessary for both the baby and the mother. Recurrent miscarriages not only affect the physical health but also have a devastating effect on the mental health of the patient.  

As per the reports of ACOG (American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists), about 5% of women experience two (or more) recurrent miscarriages. While 1% might experience 3 or more consecutive miscarriages. Proper medical guidance will not only help the mother to have a successful delivery but also will eradicate the chances of future complications.

Symptoms of Recurrent Miscarriages

Bleeding from the vagina is the most common and chronic symptom of a miscarriage. The bleeding can be either a dark brownish discharge, light spotting, or even dark red clots of blood. Some of the other symptoms experienced by the pregnant mother are as follows:

  • Severe cramps in the lower tummy
  • Tissue discharge from the vagina
  • Fluid discharge from the vagina
  • Pain in the lower back.

Causes of Recurrent Miscarriages

A miscarriage can be due to many causes. It can be due to any external injury or intake of any harmful drug or food items. However, some of the causes that increase the chances of miscarriages are as follows:

  • Women aged 35 or above have higher chances of pregnancy loss than younger women. The chances of miscarriage are about 20% when a woman is at an age of 35. On the other hand, with an increase in age (say 45) the chances further increase to 80%.
  • Having uncontrolled diabetes.
  • Complications in uterine or cervix.
  • Taking harmful drugs or smoking during.
  • Both being underweight and overweight might increase the chances of miscarriage.
  • Medical history of previous miscarriages.

When to see a doctor in Recurrent Miscarriages

If someone is having severe abdominal or lower back cramps, then they must consult a doctor. Moreover, if the woman had a previous medical history of recurrent miscarriages, then she must take proper medical assistance throughout her gestation period. As women with other medical complications (such as diabetes and uterine complications) are at risk of miscarriage, therefore, they must consult their doctors regularly.

Prevention /Management of Recurrent Miscarriages

Some of the preventive measures one must follow to achieve a successful and healthy pregnancy are as follows:

  • It is advised to quit smoking as smoking is found to be directly linked with causing infertility in women.
  • If someone had a previous history of miscarriages or STDs, then they must undergo proper examination for it.
  • Taking folic acid in your diet reduces the chances of miscarriage and supports healthy pregnancy.
  • If the woman has diabetes, then they must follow a healthy diet along with proper exercise for a successful pregnancy.

Remedies / Treatment for Recurrent Pregnancy

 With the growing medical field, there are numerous ways by which someone can achieve a successful pregnancy even after having one or few miscarriages. For it, the doctors need to find the cause of the miscarriage. The treatment for the woman varies depending upon this cause. Some of these treatments to undergo are as follows:

  • If the woman has a problem in the uterus such as fibroids or tumours, then she can undergo surgery for its removal.
  • If the woman has any clotting problems, then the doctors might suggest blood thinning drugs during her gestation period.
  • If the miscarriage is due to other reasons such as diabetes and thyroid problems. Then, the doctors will try to balance the levels of insulin or thyroxin in the body by giving medicines and prescribing proper diets.
  • One of the most important treatments is to follow a healthy lifestyle. If the woman will follow a healthy diet with proper exercises (as prescribed by the doctors), then eventually she will have a healthy pregnancy.


Recurrent miscarriages not only affect the physical but also the mental health of the patient. There can be many underlying causes of it which include genetic disorders, diabetes, unhealthy lifestyle etc. however, with growing medical science the chances of conceiving and having a healthy baby have increased. Therefore, if any woman is under a risk factor of having a miscarriage, then she must follow the proper medical assistance throughout her gestation period.

1. What are some of the major causes of recurrent miscarriages?

Some of the major causes behind recurrent miscarriages are hormonal issues, disorders of the uterus or any genetic abnormality.

2. In this test laparoscope (small lightened device with camera) is used to search for any abnormality in reproductive organ.

The reason behind the recurrent miscarriages in the first trimester shall be any chromosomal abnormality or genetic disorder in the developing embryo.

3. What is another way to have a successful pregnancy after 3 or more consecutive miscarriages?

IVF (In vitro fertilization) can be the best option for a woman to undergo after two or more episodes of miscarriages.

4. Can the quality of the egg affects the pregnancy?

Yes, the quality of the egg performs a special role in implantation. If the quality of the egg is not good, then it might not be able to implant or might not survive after implantation.

5. Is having three miscarriages in a row considered too much?

Having three miscarriages consecutively is termed a recurrent miscarriage. It needs to be diagnosed and treated properly by specialist doctors.

Book an Appointment




Ovulation Calculator